Sunday 13 September 2009

Erm... long time no see, so hopefully absence makes the blog grow more interesting

Well, let me start with an apology for not writing in this blog for more than half a year. I hope you all forgive me and continue to read my random thoughts, rants and musings.

Unfortunately, I had exams, stressful A-level exams "on which [my] future depended". If I didn't get the grades necessary for my first choice university, I personally would have been very gutted. But my expectations of myself don't really matter in my family - it's those of my parents I had to worry about.

You see, I come from a very traditional chinese family - we have really chinese (birth)names unpronounceable to westerners, we stir fry all our food, and being the "child," I a) have ridiculously high expectations thrust upon me, and b) am not allowed to question my parents' opinions regardless of how unreasonable/unlogical/unthoughtful they are. Or at least, that's how they want their child to be. It was rather funny seeing them with my grandparents when we went back to Beijing in the summer; grandparents who are in a rather complicated and tenuous situation, who are on the edge of being senile and simply are too stubborn to be open to discussion. Having said that, I must admit that I'm pretty ambitious and don't mind other people having expectations of me - at least not if they are reasonable.

Nevertheless, it is sometimes seen almost as an unofficial competition between chinese families to see who's kid got the highest marks in their maths exam (as opposed to most well-rounded), who's child helps the most with chores (as opposed to being popular with peers), who's child has the highest salary (as opposed to happiest in their job). It's true that some people may simply ask out of interest and politeness, but the friendly interest and politeness is often masking a deeper spirit of "family honour," or one-upmanship.

On a happier note, it probably does good in the long run. I'm not sure how, but i'm sure that in the long run I will find out... :/

x


1 comment:

  1. italy is pretty similar, but i think i sort of escaped it...

    ReplyDelete