Monday 2 February 2009

I'm dreaming of a white snow day, when my parents aren't in the house

It snowed today.


Perhaps its just me, but I really don't like the idea of heavy snowfall anymore, at least until my mother has enough compassion to allow me to go out despite there being a tiny chance that I might catch a cold and pass it on to her.



However, this problem could be avoided if there was a snow day for us at school, but the roads were sufficiently un-iced so that my parentals could happily drive to work and back. Grrrrr.....



Why are we (general British public) so bad at preparing. We knew several days in advance that a snow storm was on its way from Russia, yet failed to do anything about it! Only now are people doing some hardcore gritting of major roads. Why is it that this weather probably seems mild to most Baltic states, yet they somehow keep it up and running when Britain just gives up?



"We're not used to it" is hardly an excuse. For example, in Germany, heavy snowfall is hardly common, but most cars there have snow tyres. They also remember to put grit on their roads when they expect low temperatures / a snowstorm.



If only work, but not school, could have resumed as usual today. Then, I could have been out in the snow instead of morosely watching the snow in my back garden whilst listening to Bach.



x

1 comment:

  1. maybe the entire of britain's public just fancied a few days off...

    ReplyDelete