Saturday 21 February 2009

Reach for the stars, follow your heart's desire

Unfortunately, we don't always get what we want, or what we deserve. I was talking to someone today about a goal which he completely deserved to attain, and would have done had he not been so modest about his unrecognised achievements.

It is also unfortunate that few people go out of their depth to look for the positive aspects of people, and instead, concentrate of what is given to them at face value. I speak as one of those arrogant people who are very willing to let others know of their achievements, at least when it matters. But it does annoy me when people who aren't so well acquainted with showing off miss out on what they deserve because others do not have the time or the courtesy to try them out.

It annoys me more when people who are confident, boastful and fake achieve certain goals at the expense of those who are less keen to get a one up on everyone else.

And finally, it annoys me when people are chosen or rewarded simply for being nice, even if their individual assests relevant to a task at hand are less valuable than those of a person who is simply unable to maintain a fake smile for the duration of a conversation. Of course, people are understandably attracted to nice people (in the generic sense), and in most circumstances, you don't want to be around someone who is not nice. However, I still don't think someone who is nicer at face value should attain a goal at the expense of a less overtly nice person who deserves it more.

Having said all that, I will freely admit that I'm a hypocrite who plays the game but resents doing so. When necessary, I have no trouble projecting a fake persona, and I will definately forgo some of my morals to get something that I really want, then feel bad afterwards. But this is the way the world / our society rolls, and if everyone does it (let's face it, most people do) and knows its wrong, what can be done?

x

2 comments:

  1. what a wonderful blog; with such purpose

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok Nick... you've said your piece... but if you are so annoyed with "the game", quit playing... change starts with actions not words...

    ReplyDelete